Community Health Partners (CHP) is the local public health provider in Sioux County Iowa. Information about our programs and services is available on the menu to the left.
Protect Yourself from West Nile Virus
Community Health Partners reminds everyone that West Nile Virus still circulates in Iowa. The first confirmed human case of WNV has been reported in Iowa. The case is an adult male between the ages of 18 and 40 years of age from Clay County, who is recovering.
West Nile virus is a disease transmitted to humans by mosquitoes. While many people who are infected do not experience any signs or symptoms, others have minor symptoms like fever and mild headache, and a small number do develop more serious illness that includes a severe headache, stiff neck, disorientation or sudden weakness.
The best way to prevent West Nile virus is to eliminate mosquito breeding areas and to use insect repellent when outdoors. Take the following steps to reduce the risk of exposure to West Nile virus:
- Use insect repellent with DEET, picaridin, IR3535, or oil of lemon eucalyptus. Always read the repellent label and consult with a health care provider if you have questions when using these types of products for children. DEET should not be used on infants less than 2 months old and oil of lemon eucalyptus should not be used on children under 3 years old.
- Avoid outdoor activities at dusk and dawn when mosquitoes are most active.
- Wear long-sleeved shirts, pants, shoes, and socks when outdoors.
- Eliminate standing water around the home, a natural breeding area for mosquitoes.
- Empty water from flower pots, buckets, outdoor toys, kiddie pools, pool covers, and tarps covering firewood and boats.
- Make sure roof gutters are clean, in good repair and drain properly.
- Change water in bird baths and pet bowls every three to four days.
For more information, visit Iowa Department of Public Health at www.idph.state.ia.us/Cade/DiseaseIndex.aspx.
Farmers' Markets in Sioux County
Schedule of Immunizations
Tuesday, September 9 - 10:00-2:00 p.m.
New Life Reformed Church: Daniel Room, 232 16th St. S.E.
Tuesday, September 23 - 10:00- 2:00 p.m.
Trinity Christian Reformed Church, 2020 8th St. S.E.
Wednesday, October 15 - 1:00-5:30 p.m.
Public Health Building, 211 Central Ave. S.E.
Thursday, October 16 - 1:00 - 5:30 p.m.
Hope Christian Reformed Church, 1407 6th St.
Wednesday, October 29 - 1:00-5:30 p.m.
Christian Reformed Church, 1515 16th St.